Did you know that grapefruit really has many health benefits?
Among other things, it helps with weight loss and strengthens the immune system. This fruit also contains so many good substances that it deserves a place in the top of the superfoods: these are natural foods with a large dose of vitamins and antioxidants.
Still, we don't immediately think of grapefruit when we hear the word superfood. A pity, because it is really very healthy!
Today I'll tell you why grapefruit is just as good now. In addition, I share a recipe with which you can get started yourself.
Curious about more recipes? Be sure to check out the other recipes on the blog.
3 kinds of grapefruit
There are different types of grapefruit: yellow, red and pink. It grows on the Citrus Paradisi tree, a plant with green leaves and white flowers.
There is also often confusion around the name: is it grapefruit or grapefruit? To avoid confusion I will explain the difference.
The grapefruit (Citrus Paradisi) originated from a cross between the grapefruit (CitrusMaxima) and the orange (Citrus Sinensis). Grapefruit and grapefruit are not actually synonyms.
The grapefruit is basically the ancestor and resembles a large grapefruit. It has a thicker skin and is also more acidic than grapefruit. Yet the two words are used synonymously with us, because there are indeed similarities.
So there are different types of grapefruit, but they have one thing in common: they are full of good substances!
Time to list the scientifically proven benefits.
#1 Grapefruit is low in calories
Did you know that grapefruit is one of the fruits with the least calories? So you can eat this perfectly as a snack when you want to lose weight.
Only a few studies have been done at the moment, including a study in obese patients . There it was found that the group that drank grapefruit juice lost more weight. This compared to the group that did not drink any juice.
Despite the fact that little research has been done, grapefruit is often associated with weight loss. The fruit contains pectin (a fiber that is water soluble).
In addition, it would also stimulate fat burning and metabolism, due to the increased activity of the CPT1a enzyme. It also contains a lot of fiber (about 2 grams), which makes you feel full. That way it curbs your appetite.
#2 Grapefruit replenishes your moisture level
The fruit consists of 90% water and is therefore very hydrating. In this way, in addition to drinking water, you replenish your fluid level. Ideal as a snack in warm weather!
Tip : squeeze the juice and make a delicious smoothie. Below you will find a delicious recipe.
#3 It improves heart health and blood pressure
Grapefruit also contributes to a healthy heart. Research shows that people who ate grapefruit 3 times over a period of 6 weeks had a large drop in their blood pressure. It also had a beneficial effect on the participants' cholesterol levels.
Grapefruit contains a lot of potassium, which reduces the risk of high blood pressure.
The fruit also boosts heart health due to the presence of fiber. Research shows that fiber and antioxidants may protect against various heart conditions .
Aren't these already enough reasons to eat grapefruit?
#4 Grapefruits are very nutritious
A grapefruit is a real source of vitamins and antioxidants. As mentioned earlier, it contains a lot of potassium. This also ensures a good moisture balance in the body and optimal contraction of muscles.
In addition, a grapefruit contains vitamin C, which contributes to increased resistance. It also strengthens the connective tissue and thus ensures faster wound healing. Furthermore, the fruit contains various antioxidants, which reduce the risk of diseases. Antioxidants protect the body against free radicals.
Other active ingredients are:
- The flavonoids naringin and lycopene
- According to research from Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, lycopene may reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, especially prostate cancer. In addition, it can also inhibit the growth of tumors.
- Naringin is the main flavonoid in grapefruit. It contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Research indicates that this substance works well in the treatment of obesity, diabetes and other conditions.
- Furanocoumarins, β-carotenoid and d-limonene.
- Limonene raises glutathione levels. This ensures that the liver can work better, so the substance has a purifying effect.
#5 It strengthens the resistance
The fruit contributes to a stronger resistance. It is packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. This protects the body against bacteria and viruses. Research shows that vitamin C helps to get rid of that nasty cold. In addition, the fruit also contains vitamins A and B. Vitamin A fights infectious diseases, while vitamin B contributes to healthy skin.
A grapefruit smoothie packed with antioxidants
The good properties of grapefruit have been scientifically proven. Combine this with the health benefits of matcha for a real health bomb!
Try this recipe from vegan.io for a delicious grapefruit/matcha smoothie.
- 1 banana, cut into pieces
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon of matcha powder , available in our webshop
- 1 persimmon, cut into pieces
- Squeeze the juice from the grapefruit.
- Add all ingredients to the blender and mix!
- Add some more ice.
- The effect of daily consumption of grapefruit on weight, lipids and blood pressure in overweight: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22304836
- The effect of grapefruit on weight and insulin resistance: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728
- Health Benefits of Fruits and Vegetables: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3649719/
- Tea and lycopene protect against prostate cancer: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17392149
- The effects of flavonoids and naringin on metabolic syndrome: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4085189/
B. De Hoop said:
Vers pompelmoes (alle bittere citrusvruchten) in smoothie kan in combinatie met diverse veel voorgeschreven medicijnen, zoals bijv. Simvastatine tot een plotselinge dood leiden.
Dit is in Nederland niet bekend, wel in Belgie.
Zie het artikel: “pompelmoes gevaarlijk wanneer u geneesmiddel neemt”
Het staat op de website van gezondheid.be.
Het heeft me bijna het leven gekost!