Air pollution, pesticides, bacteria, chemicals… we come into contact with many hazardous substances throughout the day. As long as your body functions properly, there is nothing to worry about. Toxins are removed through the liver, kidneys, intestines and lungs, this is the natural process of detoxification.
But sometimes the functioning of your organs is disrupted, so that the detoxification process no longer works properly. The toxins then accumulate and in the long term this can cause chronic complaints, sleep problems, fatigue and illnesses.
In that case, your body's self-cleansing process could use some help.
That's why today I'm sharing 6 different ways you can help that process. And no, you really don't need an expensive detox cure. :-) There are plenty of simple methods to help your body recover.
1. Avoid unhealthy food and alcohol
Everything you put in your mouth has a direct impact on your health. Unhealthy food and alcohol are therefore best left aside, because they are harmful to your liver, among other things.
Your liver works hard every day to break down bad substances. To give an example: if you have drunk alcohol, your liver breaks it down completely in about three days. So you can rest assured that your liver is a real detoxification machine.
It is best to avoid the following things:
- Processed foods : they are often loaded with sugar and artificial flavourings. You often recognize processed food by a long ingredient list with a lot of names that you've probably never heard of. In general, the shorter the list, the better.
- Fried food : it is certainly tasty, but it is definitely not healthy. Do you still want to enjoy a packet of fries or a fried snack in a healthier way? Make them yourself and use fat that consists of unsaturated fats (such as olive, peanut, sunflower or frying oil). Do you want a healthy alternative to deep-frying? Then choose the oven or airfryer more often.
- Alcohol : it's a real calorie bomb and therefore a fattener (depending on the type of alcohol.) Would you like something to drink? A glass of bubbles contains fewer calories than a glass of wine.
A little note: sinning once in a while is definitely OK, life is all about balance. If you eat healthy on a daily basis, you can occasionally treat yourself to something extra.
2. Choose fresh food with a detox effect
You absolutely do not have to follow an expensive juice cleanse to cleanse your body, which is not healthy by the way. Fresh and varied food is the most important thing. So you can definitely eat the following foods more often:
- Water and green tea : that goes without saying. We all know that drinking enough water is important. Need some variety? Green tea has cleansing properties and is therefore ideal to support your body. Choose regular green tea or matcha powder .
- Turmeric (yellow root) : this spice not only gives extra flavor to any dish, it is said to play an important role in the fight against cancer. Turmeric owes its benefits to the substance curcumin, which detoxifies and has an anti-inflammatory effect. It is very good for your liver.
- Ginger : this root should certainly not be missing in your kitchen. It is an important aid in inflammation and helps to support your natural cleansing process.
- Lemons : start your day with a glass of water and the juice of half a lemon, so you immediately stimulate your digestion. A lemon is packed with vitamin C, which also stimulates natural cleansing.
- Asparagus : did you know that asparagus is diuretic? They support the kidneys in removing waste products.
- Broccoli : Broccoli is a real superfood. It contains a huge dose of antioxidants, vitamins and a substance called sulforaphane: it is mainly this component that has a detoxifying effect.
But the list is much longer! Avocado, green leafy vegetables, coriander, beetroot, walnuts, garlic, artichoke, goji berries, parsley and many other herbs, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds also deserve a place on the list.
3. Preferably buy organic food
If possible, choose organic alternatives. This means that the food is not sprayed.
Pesticides are harmful and washing fruit or vegetables is often not enough. Pesticides can easily penetrate certain varieties with a soft skin (such as strawberries). So you definitely ingest a certain amount of pesticides.
4. Give intermittent fasting a try
In a previous article I talked about the health benefits of intermittent fasting.
Intermittent fasting simply means that you are going to fast for a certain period of time.
An example: you have breakfast at noon, and then you can eat until 8 pm. So you eat for a period of 8 hours, then you fast for 16 hours. During these moments of fasting you give your body the chance to use its own fat reserves. When you don't eat anything, your body is not digesting either, so it can fully focus on detoxification.
The benefits: in the long term you will have less appetite for sugar, eat smaller portions and get more energy back.
5. Sauna or infrared
The secretion of waste does not only occur internally, but also through the skin. Sweating is very good for you! The waste products are removed in this way and your skin is cleaned. Win win! It also gives you a moment of relaxation, wonderful.
6. Take a critical look at your care products
Your skin is your largest organ, so you should take good care of it. Yet many women and men just smear something on their face. As a result, they ingest a lot of chemical substances without knowing it…
Cosmetics and skin care often contain chemical additives. Although the majority of these substances are completely harmless, there is also a group that you should not put on your skin:
- Ingredients made from petroleum: petroleum, parafinum, petrolatum…
- SLS/ SLES (Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate)
- Synthetic perfumes: they can provoke allergic reactions and even disrupt hormones.
- Phthalates (DEH, DHEP, DINP, BBP, DEHA): These substances can lead to hormone disruption.
Should you opt for a completely natural product? No, in itself is of course not always better. Nature has a lot to offer us, but certain ingredients can be irritating (such as citrus, mint, tea tree & lavender). It is best not to put these substances on sensitive skin.
Tip: always test new care on the inside of your arm before applying it to your face. Testing is knowing!
Conclusion: the natural detoxification process can give you extra support
The strict and intensive cures where you only live on juices are nonsense. It is not healthy if you do not make enough variety in your diet. By the way, your body is perfectly capable of cleaning itself.
But it is true that sometimes your body has a hard time. Processed food, lots of junk food, alcohol, smoking… these things are not really healthy. Then a detox, in which you consciously choose healthy food, can certainly offer a solution. Give your body time to recover.